State control over energy issues
The Agency exercises state control over energy and heat supply, as well as gas supply in the Republic of Azerbaijan. State control is carried out in accordance with the legislation of the Republic of Azerbaijan and within the limits of authority determined by the charter of the Agency.
Duties of the agency under state control
- Control over the observance of the current legislation, including the legislation on consumer protection in the relevant field;
- Control over ensuring the efficient use of energy resources by enterprises operating in the relevant field, as well as taking measures in accordance with relevant norms to prevent or reduce the negative impact of energy activities on the environment;
- Inspections in the relevant field in the cases and in the manner prescribed by the Law of the Republic of Azerbaijan "On regulation of inspections in the field of entrepreneurship and protection of the interests of entrepreneurs".
The purpose of the agency under state control
The purpose of control in the field of electricity and heat supply, as well as gas supply is to further increase the satisfaction of citizens with the quality and availability of services provided to consumers, their reliable, uninterrupted, high-quality and safe electricity and heat supply, as well as gas supply. providing for ensuring compliance with the requirements of regulatory legal acts, preventing violations of the law and timely detection and elimination of violations.
Subjects of state control
- Electricity producers, transmitters, distributors and consumers (excluding household subscribers);
- Producers, transmitters, distributors and consumers of thermal energy (excluding household subscribers);
- Those engaged in the production, transportation, distribution, sale of gas, as well as the installation of gas facilities, construction, operation, testing and certification of pipelines and consumers.
Areas of responsibility: Natural monopolists
Azerbaijan has a natural monopoly on electricity and heat, as well as gas supply.
“Azerenergy” OJSC, a natural monopoly enterprise that is responsible for production and transmitssion of electricity in Azerbaijan.
"Azerishiq" OJSC, a natural monopoly enterprise that distributes and supplies (sales) eletricity to household and commercial consumers in Azerbaijan.
"Gas-Export-Department" receives gas from the "Operating Companies", "Shah Deniz" and "Azeri-Chirag-Guneshli" fields, and ensures the sale of SOCAR's gas in foreign markets.
As a part of SOCAR, "Azerigas" PU distributes and suplies (sales) gas to household and commercial consumers in Azerbaijan.
"Azeristiliktechizat" OJSC provides heat to household and commercial consumers, public, and industrial buildings and structures in Azerbaijan, including Baku and surrounding areas.
Information about cases of administrative offenses
In accordance with the Code of Administrative Offenses of the Republic of Azerbaijan, the Energy Regulatory Agency considers cases on administrative offenses under the articles referred to its competence.
Consumers have the opportunity to pay fines for violations of the rules of operation of electricity and heat, gas supply via the Internet.